Homes evacuated in Derry following overnight fire

 

Some homes were evacuated in Derry overnight following the discovering of an electrical fire.

The blaze broke out at the Benvarden Avenue in the Waterside close to a gas line in the area.

The Chapel Road community centre was used a rest centre for those who had to leave their homes as a precaution.

In a statement, Local Cllr Christopher Jackson said, thankfully NIE identified the fault and worked as quickly as they could to resolve it and residents were able to return to their homes.