A contractor has been appointed to carry out replacement works on the Tirchonaill Street Bridge in Donegal Town.
Works are due to begin on Monday and are expected to be complete by early next year.
Donegal County Council is advising motorists that traffic management measures will be in place from Monday August 27th.
K&M Keating Ltd has been appointed as contractor to carry out the replacement works on the Tirchonaill Street Bridge in Donegal Town estimated at almost €925,000.
A 3.5 tonne weight restriction is currently on the bridge, due to the deterioration of the steel structure over recent years.
In February last year, the Transport Minister allocated funding for Donegal County Council to proceed with works.
The works will include:
- Implementing road closures and traffic management measures to facilitate the works and the flow of traffic around the works.
- The demolition of the existing bridge steel superstructure.
- The cleaning/repair and re-pointing of the existing substructure.
- Works to the existing substructure to allow the construction of the replacement steel and concrete composite bridge superstructure.
- Construction of replica bridge parapets to match the existing steel riveted panels.
- Roadwork’s on the bridge and approaches.
- The temporary and permanent diversion of services and associated new ducting and chambers.
- Bridge deck waterproofing.
- Road, footpath, and substructure drainage and ducting works.