An Indian restaurant in County Donegal was forced to close last month after a pond of human excrement was discovered in an area where staff were preparing food.
A report from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland detailing non-compliances said that an overflowing manhole had resulted in a pond of human excrement gathering beside a shed where the potato peeler was located at Saffron restaurant and takeaway in Creeslough.
The report alleged that staff would be standing in the excrement while using the potato peeler thereby carrying the excrement into the restaurant on their shoes.
The report also found “dirt, mould and encrusted food” on windows, in sinks and on floors and doors throughout the premises, while “food storage containers in the fridge were covered with black mould”.
There were other non-compliances detailed in the report, which included the presence of dead flies in oil used to baste pizza dough.
Saffron was served with a closure order for "grave and immediate danger to public health" on its premises.
The closure order was lifted on October 27th.