Burt win dramatic Donegal Intermediate Championship Final Replay

Burt celebrate their win at the O Donnell Park in the replay with Milford Photo Brian McDaid
Burt celebrate their win at the O Donnell Park in the replay with Milford Photo Brian McDaid


Donegal Intermediate Football Championship Final Replay Result:
Burt 2-11 Milford 1-12

For the first time in their history Burt lifted the  Donegal Intermediate Football Championship title beating Milford by two points in today's final replay at the O'Donnell Park.

Burt notched the first point of the game, but it was a close contest throughout the first 15 minutes.

On the quarter-hour mark the score was Milford 0-05 v 0-03 Burt.

The game was level 10 minutes  later when Burt's Calvin Gallagher made five points each.

Burt then took the lead in an amazing turnaround when Conor Harkin rounded Milford goalie Caolan McGettigan.

Those rapid-fire scores transformed the game in the space of two minutes to make it Milford 0-05 v 1-05 Burt at the break.

It was Burt who were quickest to get on the scoreboard at the start of the second.

However, it was all level within two minutes, as Milford responded with a point and then Pauric Curley grabbed a goal to make it 1-06 v 1-06.

They completed a second half comeback five minutes later when Cathal McGettigan scored from a free, 30 metres out, to put Milford back in front for the first time since the 23rd minute of the match.

But they weren’t back in the driving seat for long, as Burt’s Sean McHugh made drew the sides level 1-08 (11) v (11) 1-08.

Burt retook the lead in the 15th minute, but Milford’s Cathal McGettigan restored parity two minutes later as both sides fought for the lead.

It was all change four minutes later when Milford went in front and then made it a two-point game within 60 seconds.

It meant that with eight minutes remaining, Division 2 champions Milford were slight favourites to win the match and play senior football next year for the first time in their history.

They extended their advantage to three points on the 58th minute and just had to see out three minutes of injury time to win and launch the celebrations.

But Burt’s Conor Harkin was dragged down in the box with just less than a minute left and he got up to convert the penalty and draw the sides level to send the teams into 20 minutes of extra time.

At the end of normal time, it was tied: Milford 1-11 (14) v (14) 2-08 Burt.

In extra time, Paul McHugh stepped up with two points and another score from Mark Coyle gave Burt a first ever Intermediate Championship title winning 2-11 to 1-12.

There wont be much time for celebration as Burt have to return to the O'Donnell on Sunday to play Bredagh from Down in the Ulster Intermediate Championship first round.