Burt and Milford draw exciting Donegal Intermediate Football Club Championship Final


Donegal Intermediate Football Club Championship Final result: Burt 0-10 v 1-07 Milford

The Donegal Intermediate Football Club Championship Final was drawn Saturday.

It was an exciting game at O’Donnell Park in Letterkenny but neither Burt nor Milford could win to guarantee senior championship football next season.

Burt looked the more hungry side in the opening exchanges as they dominated.

But it was Milford who scored an early goal.

Cathal McGettigan hit the net but after 13 minutes it was Burt who led on a score of 0-04 to 1-00.

After 20 minutes, it was Burt 0-06 v 1-01 Milford, but a low-scoring end to the half meant there was very little change to either side’s tasks.

Burt were still in front at half-time, leading on a score of 0-06 to 1-02.

Milford were the brighter at the re-start and posed the greater attacking threat.

Their forward play paid dividends and helped Milford draw the game level after four minutes of the second half.

The score was Burt 0-06 v 1-03 Milford.

Milford then took the lead thanks to a point from McGettigan.

They then extended their lead to a two-point margin and began getting a grip of the final.

The score was 0-06 to 1-05 in the ninth minute of the second half and meant Milford had scored four points unanswered, as Burt had not scored since the 17th minute of the first half.

Milford’s PJ Hagan then got his first score of the game to make it a three-point gap: Burt 0-06 v 1-06.

But it was reduced to two when Burt’s Joe Boyle knocked one over from the 45-metre line to get his first score of the second half.

Burt substitute Christopher McDermott halved the deficit to one point soon afterwards with only six minutes of normal time left to play.

With seconds remaining Conor Harkin levelled the match: Burt 0-10 v 1-07 Milford.

The replay has been confirmed for next Saturday 15th October back at the O'Donnell Park in Letterkenny. 4.30pm throw in.