Donegal County Council has made its public services centres available for the collection of clothing, tents and toiletries to be sent to refugees currently awaiting processing at Calais.
A truck from Donegal will join an aid convoy on Friday, and between now and then, items are being accepted at public services centres and the Old Courthouse in Lifford.
Cllr Jack Murray says it gives people in the county a chance to respond to what they've been seeing in recent weeks..................
More details on the council's website - www.donegalcoco.ie
Council statement -
Collection Points in aid of Calais Refugee Crisis
As the growing humanitarian crisis continues to unfold throughout Europe, Donegal County Council is supporting the Ireland Calais Refugee Solidarity Group by setting up collection points across the county to collect much needed supplies to bring to migrants and refugees currently stranded in Calais and living in desperate conditions.
The following items are needed:
- Heavy duty rubbish bags
- Tents: 4 person +
- Blankets and sleeping bags
- Men’s clothes: specifically, small to medium to sized warm clothes.
- Shoes, runners
- Candles, torches
- Men’s toiletries, 2 options:
- Option 1: Men’s toiletry bag to include; tooth paste, tooth brush, soap, 2 razors, 1 can shaving foam and a pack of tissues in a medium sized durable bag
- Option 2: Any 1 of the above items boxed separately and labelled
- Tools for fixing bikes, pumps, puncture repair kits
Items can be left at the following collection points during normal opening hours from Monday 14 September until Thursday 17 September 2015:
- Letterkenny Public Service Centre, Neil T. Blaney Road, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Donegal Town Public Service Centre, Drumlonagher, Donegal Town
- Carndonagh Public Service Centre, Malin Road, Carndonagh
- Dungloe Public Service Centre, Gweedore Road, Dungloe
- The Old Courthouse, The Diamond, Lifford
- The Base Enterprise Centre, Railway Road, Stranorlar