Young mother says Derry bomb could have killed her son

derrybombcurryA young mother who lives in a housing estate where a bomb was found in Derry says her 4-year-old son could have been killed by the device.

Officers discovered the mortar type device in near Conway Park in the Currynierin estate yesterday evening, after they received phone calls claiming an explosive device had been left in a laneway.

Some residents were moved out of their homes for more than 24 hours and some roads were closed. Full access to the estate has since been restored.

Speaking on the Shaun Doherty Show, Marguerritte Doherty says her son and her father often walk the lane where the bomb was found.

And she says they wanted to walk the laneway on Sunday evening, but didn't because of the bad weather: