Man acquitted of charges relating to Strabane St Patricks Day stabbings two years ago

A man who had been accused of stabbing five men in an attack on St Patrick’s Day in Strabane two years ago has been acquitted at Omagh Crown Court.

46-year-old Michael McDonagh of Mitford Walk, Crawley in Sussex had been due to go on trial  for the offences this week.

Five men were stabbed following a row with a group of travellers outside Joe's Bar in Strabane on March 17, 2011.

One of the men recieved 200 stitches and 65 staples for his injuries

But just before the start of the trial this week, prosecuting barrister, Simon Reid, said that the prosecution could offer no evidence in the case.

As a result, the jury, which had earlier been sworn in, was directed to acquit McDonagh on the charges.

Making the direction, Judge Geoffrey Miller said that the direction was being made because ‘key’ witnesses were not available.

He said that one of them had decided to travel abroad, adding that in the interests of justice there should be no further adjournment in the case.