Plans have been announced for a memorial ceremony to commemorate the bicentenary of what is known as ‘The Bruckless Drowning.
On February 11th 1813, 200 fishing boats capsized in a storm in Bruckless Bay with the loss of many lives.
On February 11th 1813 a large number of open sailing boats were fishing herring in Bruckless Bay when a sudden violent storm drove them onto the rocks around St. John’s Point. Most records state that 42 men were lost leaving 30 widows and 102 children.
This figure originates from a report on the storm by Rev. Edward Stopford, the Anglican rector of Killybegs, yet other eye witness reports state that up to 80 men were drown, the vast majority of them coming from the areas of Kilcar, Teelin and Malinbeg.
The commemoration at Bruckkes on the 11th of next month will comprise an Ecumenical Service and the unveiling of an engraved stone set in a landscaped garden overlooking McSwynes Castle and Bruckless Bay.
The unveiling will be performed by the Minister of Agriculture, Food and the Marine,