Former Garda Superintendent Kevin Lennon has said there are very fundamental and serious issues involving still serving gardai which have never been investigated.
In a statement issued through his solicitors to the Donegal Democrat last night, Mr Lennon, said these issues should be properly and fully investigated in the public interest.
Mr Lennon was speaking after Associated Newspapers, who published Ireland on Sunday, issued an apology to him at a special sitting of Carrick-on-Shannon Circuit Court. The apology related to an article published in 2003 relating to a period while Mr Lennon was a garda Inspector in Letterkenny.
The article made an accusation about his personal life which the paper now accepts was untrue.
The special sitting heard the libel action had been “resolved” and there was “no further order needed.”
Mr Lennon said he was happy, despite the delay, to have this untruth corrected.
However, he added, he has never had an opportunity to, in any meaningful way, defend or vindicate the very serious allegations and findings made against him as a former member of An Garda Siochana.
The statement concludes the public have been conditioned by events, and he has been scapegoated in a very deliberate fashion.
Mr Lennon's solicitor is John Mc Nulty......