NI Fire Service publishes preliminary Altnagelvin report

The Northerrn Ireland Fire and Rescue Service has released its preliminary report on the fire at Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry last Friday night.

The investigation has indicated the fire started accidentally in a small room on the roof containing electrical equipment, near water storage tanks.

The statement adds the fire did not start in the fabric of the main building, and was not caused by the fabric of the main building.

Three wards on the top floors of the unit are to be closed following the fire a week ago, the second in the space of a fortnight.