Derry man bailed on August riot charged

A Derry man who had been in custody charged in connection with rioting in the city last August has been released on bail on condition he does not go within 500 metres of any parades and stay out of the Bogside and Brandywell.

26-year-old Simon Whiteman of 12, Barr's Lane had been charged with a series of offences including hijacking, criminal damage and attempted criminal damage to police vehicles in connection with rioting in the city on August 13.
A police officer opposed bail stating that Whiteman showed 'complete disregard' for the court and that as it was the start of the parade season police were fearful Whiteman would commit further offences.

Defence solicitor Mr. Paddy MacDermott said that his client was prepared to adhere to any conditions imposed by the court including staying out of the Bogside.

District Judge Barney McElholm said that it was 'with a degree of trepidation' he was granting bail.

Whiteman was released on his own bail of £1000 with one surety of £500.

He has to wear an electronic tag, observe a curfew from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. report to police three times a week and stay away from parades and out of the Bogside and Brandywell.

He will appear again on July 16.