Donegal woman awarded damages for injuries sustained when hot water bottle split

A Donegal woman who told the High Court she cannot wear high heels as a result of a burn injury suffered when a hot water bottle in her bed split open has been awarded €65,000 damages.

25 year old Ann Marie McGee from Meenlaragh was 15 when the incident occurred at her home 10 years ago.

She told the High Court yesterday she still cannot wear high heels, had to give up playing football and could not sit her mock Junior Cert exams immediately after the incident.

When the case was called yesterday before Ms Justice Mary Irvine, Richard Lyons SC, for Ms McGee, said she had settled her case against the shop on which she bought the item, and the case was against the Mayo based distributor for assessment of damages only.

Counsel said proceedings against the importer and supplier of the hot water bottle could be struck out.

Ms Justice Irvine, who examined the scar on Ms McGee’s foot in her private chambers, said the young woman had suffered excruciating pain when the hot water bottle split open.