Royal Mail investigates postal worker’s hair loss in helmet prank

Royal Mail officials have launched an investigation in Derry after a postal worker suffered burns and lost clumps of his hair in what is believed to have been a practical joke gone wrong.

Details of the incident, which happened on Wednesday afternoon, have only come to light today.

The postal worker discovered the hair loss when he took off a motorcycle helmet he had taken from the staff locker room at the delivery office on Great James Street. He had returned from his rounds at 4 o'clock that evening, put on the helmet and returned home. However, when he took it off, the problems began.

According to BBC reports today, it's believed that an acidic substance had been put in the helmet.

The matter was initially reported to police,  but it is believe they have dropped their investigation and it is now being dealt with internally by Royal Mail.