Three men admit sex assaults on schoolgirl

Three men today  pleaded guilty to sex assaults on a schoolgirl when she was 12 and 13

The men were immediately placed on the register of sex offenders by Judge Gerard Griffin at Donegal Circuit Court.

Paul Gilmore(30), unemployed, admitted three offences in July, September and November in 2003 on a beach and a town in south Donegal when the girl was 13.

Colin Reynolds(27), unemployed, admitted one offence against the girl in a school in south Donegal when she was 12 between June 1st and August 31st 2002.

Chef Ronan Lowther(25), from Mountcharles, admitted one offence of unlawful sex in October, 2003, in a seaside town when the girl was 13..

Initially, Lowther denied two offences and a jury of six men and six women was sworn to deal with his trial.

But before his case opened he changed his plea to guilty to one offence. Eileen O’Leary, prosecuting, said she was not proceeding on the second charge against Lowther.

Judge Griffin was told that full details will be revealed in all cases later and he remanded Gilmore, of Lawne Park, Ballyshannon, on bail to reappear before him next Wednesday.

The judge remanded Reynolds, of Highfield, Ballyshannon, and Lowther on bail for probation reports to reappear at a special sitting of the court on July 5.

The girl, who is now aged 20, was in court to hear the guilty pleas and looked relieved at the verdicts.

One man from Ballyshannon, 34-year-old former Army private Kenneth McDonald, a father of three, was jailed last June for two years and three months on four counts of sex assaults on the girl in the South Donegal area.

Charges are still outstanding against two other men.

During last year’s hearing the girl told the court in the McDonald trial that she had full sex 57 times with 22 adult men when she was 13. She kept a diary of her encounters and a “period chart” to help her identify the father if she became pregnant.